Monday, March 24, 2014

Happy, Dizzy, Employed

Well, as many of you already know...I HAVE TWO JOBS!!! Hooray! I can't believe my good fortune, it really is fantastic. It feels great to be done with all the interviews and the waiting and now I'm both nervous and excited to begin this next chapter in my life. I'll be working as a part time math teacher for the Internationella Engelska Skolan in Lund (IES). The school system is prominent around Sweden, but the Lund location is just starting up. Next year I'll be the only math teacher for grades 7 and 8, with three classes of thirty students. I'll be teaching in English, but following the Swedish curriculum and using a Swedish textbook. It will definitely be challenging, but I think and hope in a good way. It will have been 4 years since I've been in a classroom setting and my first "real" job after Wyn, so this is definitely a big step for me. I don't officially begin until August 4th, though I have several things I'll need to work on before then, such as organizing the curriculum, ordering textbooks, etc. Actually, my summer will be quite busy. Saturday was my first day, as there was diagnostic testing for incoming students. I met with students and parents and was introduced as the new math teacher for next year. I even spoke in Swedish with some of the parents. Very cool. There is definitely no way I would have felt comfortable in this position without the amount of Swedish that I currently have.

My other job is as a Spinning® instructor for Actic gym. They have several locations, but I'll be working at the one connected to Högevallsbadet, which is in Stadsparken, which is close to Lund Centralstation and an easy (or so I'm told) bike ride away from IES. My interview went really well, and I'm super excited to be working with them. They have Spinning® bikes and several other instructors that are certified in the Spinning® program. It seems I may even have the opportunity to (eventually, probably not immediately is my guess) join an "elite instructor" group and go touring Sweden. AWESOME!!! Needless to say, I'm excited and flattered. In the mean time, I'll be teaching lunch time classes, which should actually work out quite well with IES. My schedule isn't set yet, but hopefully that will all be settled soon.

In terms of my Swedish class, I just have to keep plugging along and doing my best to concentrate despite feeling burned out and all of the excitement that is going on. I have a big test in the beginning of May and class goes through the beginning of June. I purchased the first in the Divergent young adult series in Swedish yesterday, in hopes it would help me with my studies.

With everything going so well, my body has decided to remind me that IT is indeed in charge. I've been feeling quite ill with the general nausea and have also had another, quite scary, dizzy spell. I saw a nurse on Friday and am scheduled to see a doctor this afternoon. Hopefully things can get figured out soon, as it is both frustrating and scary for all three of us.

I suppose this post was all about me, sorry! I'll get on again later in the week to post some photos of Wyn, etc. I just wanted to make sure I mentioned all of the job updates before I forgot. It should also be mentioned that Greg has been working very hard and has reached his weight goal. He's been working on eating right and exercising and it has really paid off...he looks fantastic! He's even stronger than he's ever been, which is also fun for Wyn, who gets to reap the benefits. YAY GREG!!! He has a lot to be proud of. Also, his proposal seems to be going quite well and he is now only waiting on the referee report for one more paper. Hooray all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment