Saturday, December 15, 2012

Lucia!

Hej! First, we would like to send a huge hug and snuggles to all of our family and friends. What we have is so very precious and we thank you dearly for that. Hopefully those that lost loved ones yesterday will be able to find peace some day.

We've had a busy week here in Sweden. Greg went to the doctor on Thursday and was deemed quite sick, so he is now on antibiotics and cough medicine. Hopefully with some rest he will start to feel more like himself again soon. Wyn and I have been feeling alright, but are keeping an eye on things. Wyn's only real concern at the moment is the fact that Tilly is "missing" (in the washing machine). Very disconcerting.

Thursday was also Lucia here in Sweden. This was our first year experiencing it and it was marvelous! Unfortunately, Greg was stuck at home with the plague, but Wyn and I had a blast. We met at her preschool (I may just call it dagis from now on...) at 7:30 Thursday morning and ate and sang songs. More description with the pictures below. If you'd like to get an idea of the songs we sang, go here.

Yesterday, Wyn and I had our very first REAL playdate (where she actually played with a friend rather than just hung out while I chatted). It was marvelous! I've been having so much fun making Swedish friends here. We had such a great experience in Munich, but Greg and I are looking to go a different route this time around. Last time we met many internationals and were super involved in the expat community. This time, we'd like to spend more time focusing on meeting Swedes, learning the language, and experiencing the culture. That said, our playdate was just up the road with a little girl named Kira (check THAT out, Kirsten!). Wyn squealed with joy the entire time. They had a dog and Wyn was just beside herself checking him out (good sign for Snickers). We had a lovely fika with pepparkakor (gingerbread cookies) and tea. Yum! I'm excited because I now officially have two Swedish mom friends from Wyn's school. Yippee!
Photobucket
Wyn has started using a fork and spoon. She also discovered it is more fun to feed me than to feed herself. 

Photobucket
Greg and Wyn snuggling on the couch and watching Shrek last weekend. We have all been sick for WAY too long!

Photobucket
Finishing up the sugar cookies to give to Wyn's dagis teachers this week. Greg and I cooked while Wyn ate the dough by the handfull. 

Photobucket
On Monday evening I went to my very first Mum's Night Out here. It was marvelous! I went to a julbord (traditional Swedish Christmas dinner) in Malmö so it was quite the event. I waited for the bus for ONE HOUR because of all the snow, but it was quite worth it when I arrived. Tons of pickled herring (interesting), 4 different types of salmon, lutefisk (never try it..ick!), and many other yummy things. I didn't get an opportunity to take any pictures of the meal, so I made up for it on the way back. Above is a picture of me, Jenny (my running buddy...she is from Northern Ireland and her husband is Swedish), and Angela (American...she and her family are also here for her husband's post doc) in the Malmö train station.

Photobucket
Me, Jenny, Angela, and another person who's name I don't remember on the train looking like tourists.

Photobucket
Wyn enjoying a really awesome cup with fancy straw...the other Christmas gift from Greg and I.

Photobucket
A group shot right before the singing began for Lucia. This is in the playroom of Wyn's dagis. The pictures aren't that great because everyone was moving around so much. This is a shot of the parents all ready to take as many pictures as possible. The kids all dressed up as Lucia, Tomte (Santa), or pepparkakor (gingerbread men/women). ADORABLE!!!

Photobucket
This is after the singing. The two little girls on the left are Wyn's little friends that love her so much. The one on the far left is Kira, the one we had a playdate with. Wyn is an adorable little Tomte, running around with one sock and saying "Hej" to everyone. Here I also learned that she speaks more Swedish than we thought. She also says "Hej do!", which means good-bye and "rossa" which means pink. He. Cutie.

Photobucket
Another group shot. This is after the singing when we all moved into the other room for fika. We had pepparkakor, lussekatter (saffron buns), and hot chocolate with whipped cream. YES!!! Notice Wyn wandering around in the middle of the crowd, just the way she likes it. 

Photobucket
Wyn and I posing in front of the dagis Christmas tree. Behind us is the room where we did all the singing, to the left of the photo is the hallway to the entrance, and we are standing in the room where we had fika.

Photobucket
Greg and Tomte (I mean Wyn) posing by the tree.

3 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL!!!!
    Thanks!

    Love,
    Mom g.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of Wyn and Uncle Greg at the end!! Cant wait to see you!!!!!

    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole...me, too! They are so cute when they snuggle with one another :) We are definitely looking forward to seeing you SOON!!!

    Love,
    Aunt Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete