Monday, September 23, 2013

Yeah, it's been a while...

Hej alla! I hope everyone has been doing well and that we (perhaps) still have a few faithful family members checking the blog, haha. Sorry it has been so long since the last update! Things became insanely busy for us once we returned to Sweden. I was frantically preparing for my first half marathon as well as the Swedish for Immigrants national exam. BOTH were last week and BOTH went great! Hooray! Greg and Wyn were super supportive through it all and have been even more supportive of my major nap needs since :)

The half marathon was last Sunday and I did even better than I could have imagined. I was sick for most of our trip back to the States and didn't train the way I had hoped. My goal was to run the whole thing and not get kicked off the track...my bigger goal was 2.5 hours. I ran it all in 2 hours, 14 minutes, and 29 seconds. I can't believe it, I am just so proud!!! We don't have many pictures since Greg and Wyn were stuck at home (poor Greg had the worst fever he's had in years, complete with fever blisters on his fingers and toes!) but here is a link to the video of me finishing if you want to see! When the big clock hits about 2:22:33, you can see me behind the clock on the right scooting past some people (pink shirt, black pants) and when the clock hits 2:22:43 you can watch the right hand side. There you should start to see my legs and you can see me finish (and look like I'm about to die, hahaa).

The Swedish test was on Tuesday and I was wiped (and SUPER nervous) before it even began. It went from 8am to 3pm and had two reading portions, a listening, two writing portions, and two speaking portions. I did really well in everything but the speaking. That is a definite weakness anyway, but I was so nervous that I passed that only by the skin of my teeth. No matter what, I'm super proud. I'll now be continuing on to the next level of Swedish. I have a mini-test on Wednesday and should find out which class fits me best. I may also add a part-time job in the mix, so we'll see if there is more news coming in the next few weeks.

Amidst all of this excitement, Greg and Wyn have been doing quite well. Greg has been super busy with work and has a couple trips looming in the near future. It also seems he is going to be getting more involved with high school outreach, so that should be cool. Also, Sundar came to visit for a couple of days and it looks like Greg and Sundar may actually have an interesting project to work on together. Cool beans! I'll let Greg write more about all that, since he puts it all so much more eloquently. We sure are proud! Did we ever post that Greg's article in the Swedish science magazine came out? There were two pictures of him and a big huge spread. It was (IS) AWESOME!!! I don't know if we have a link to it, but if we do I'll post it soon. I couldn't be prouder :) I took the magazine around to my class and to Wyn's teachers and everyone was impressed and proud and thought he was cute :)

Wyn is settling back in to dagis. It's taken her a little while to get back into the groove with Swedish (I think she still does a bit of a mix there), but she's learning quickly and having a great time. We had Caroline, Lotta, and Kira over the other night and were amazed to see Wyn can differentiate between the languages. We had a picture book and when Lotta asked Wyn what something was she answered in Swedish and when Greg asked she answered in English. Fascinating.

So, without further ado, here are some (ha, not really some, always a lot) pictures from the past month. This should keep you satiated until the next post (which shouldn't be THAT far away...)

:)
 photo IMG_0222_zpscd280752.jpg
Greg adding a little extra weight to his push-ups. 
 photo IMG_0224_zps989fb927.jpg
Kira and Wyn loving during their first hang-out after a long summer break.
 photo IMG_0228_zps9a631782.jpg
Wyn has taken to "helping" me a whole bunch in the kitchen. Sometimes it is actually helpful, sometimes not, but it is pretty cute. Here she is helping me stir chocolate chip cookies...I made them for a presentation on Baltimore that I gave in my Swedish class.
 photo IMG_0233_zpseafd2b34.jpg
Greg and Wyn enjoying fika in Skrylle.
 photo IMG_0234_zps53905247.jpg
Checking out the trees/sky/birds on a nature walk in Skrylle.
 photo IMG_0235_zpscddc8099.jpg
God help the wild boars that come near us!
 photo IMG_0240_zpsd445d12f.jpg
An energetic rendition of pat-a-cake.
 photo IMG_0954_zps7da751ce.jpg
Adorable Daddy/daughter shot. Greg was wonderful and stayed home with Wyn for two days when dagis was closed during my crazy period before the test. They got some extra love time (and a trip to Malmö!) and I got to go to class :)
 photo IMG_0969_zpsf7b3245e.jpg
Playing an awesome game called Crazy Chefs. Wyn is SORT of figuring out how to take turns. It's cute :)
 photo IMG_0242_zpsc44c8644.jpg
More cooking. Here we are making my grandmother's coffee cake. There was one spot with a HUGE mound of cinnamon and sugar...wonder if that was Wyn's doing?
 photo IMG_0976_zps855d291a.jpg
Engineering during Daddy/daughter day.
 photo IMG_0978_zps6f16a3fc.jpg
Super concentration.
 photo IMG_0980_zps3744e012.jpg
More cooking! This was more of a "reach for things that I shouldn't be reaching for". Ask Greg about the pizza Wyn made...complete with pre-chewed toppings :)
 photo IMG_0248_zpsed1eab60.jpg
Greg, Wyn, and Kira rolling around on the kitchen floor.
 photo IMG_0250_zpscbbc2ff6.jpg
Sundar, rocking it in the kitchen. As always. YUM!!!
 photo IMG_0251_zpscac1541c.jpg
Caroline and Lotta, happily reaping the benefits of Sundar's cooking :)
 photo IMG_0256_zpsfac9cf24.jpg
The Swedes learning some Indian cooking tricks!
 photo IMG_0259_zps258729df.jpg
Sundar and Wyn having love-time. Wyn really loved him and was super bummed when he left yesterday. There were definitely massive dance parties involved while he was here :)
 photo IMG_0984_zpscdb4d78c.jpg
Waving hejdå to Sundar and Greg while they cooked and we went to the playground :)
 photo IMG_0986_zpsac9aba33.jpg
Wyn climbing. This is really more to give you an idea of the cooler weather we have been having :)
 photo 1255208_10151959391136754_1897848132_n_zps4b57b3cc.jpg
A post-race photo! This is Zach, Brittany, me, and Jenny. Georgia and Hector also came up from Munich and ran with us. What a great group!

No comments:

Post a Comment