Monday, November 29, 2010
Language is Tough
So today is my first day NOT taking a class in a long while, which was refreshing until this afternoon. I spent most of the day doing laundry, then I went to pick up my test from the last class and have coffee with my friend Kristin. The test didn't go so well, which is alright as I plan on spending December processing what I've already learned anyway. I was just about to walk into the apartment with an armful of groceries when I met our next door neighbor. She is a very nice lady (I think) who speaks absolutely no English. It was nice in a way, because I had to communicate completely in German. At first I was excited because I was able to ask her who she was, where she was from, and to please speak more slowly. Then it became pretty nerve-wracking because I could only pick up a word or two here and there and she started gesturing wildly, mentioning our apartment and maybe the previous tenants and maybe told me either that she has never seen me sign up for laundry or that I am spending too much time down there. I'm not really sure, but I got stressed and bid her "Gute Nacht". Now I'm trying to decide if I should do a lesson of Rosetta Stone or just hide inside my English-speaking cave until tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bless your heart! You are putting forth such a good effort! Maybe you should just communicate by taking her a plate of good-neighbor cookies!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom (g.)