Monday, November 22, 2010

A Work Update

Aloha all,

Much has happened in the past few weeks at work, and I figure it's time to update everyone on what I know and don't know.  A few weeks ago my boss notified the group that he would be resigning his position at the MPA sometime next year (the actual date is somewhat unclear, most likely end of spring/early summer), and he would be moving back to Australia.  His resignation does not affect my contract with the MPA whatsoever.  So, no worries there.  My initial concern was how my research projects here at the MPA would be affected.  In today's technology, however, I'm sure my projects will not change all that much.

What will most likely change is our length of stay here in Munich.  My contract is a 2+1 years contract, but since Martin is leaving, it is unlikely that I would apply for the +1.  So, what does this mean for us in two years?  I met with Martin this afternoon, and we discussed my involvement with HERMES, which is a spectrograph being placed on the Anglo-Australian Telescope in Australia (more info: http://www.aao.gov.au/HERMES/).  Martin said that if I was interested in HERMES, then it would be great if I was willing to come to Australia after I have fulfilled my 2 year contract at the MPA.  Of course, it's a bit early to know all the details, but we agreed it would be good if I (possibly/probably with Jenny) could go out to Australia for a few weeks next spring or summer.  This way, I can meet everyone involved in the project and Jenny and I can see how we like Australia.  If all goes well, then Martin and I would figure out details to have me paid on a fellowship or postdoc there in Australia.

As I've said, it's still a bit early to know how things will work out.  There's a lot of time between then and now for things to change, or for me to find an interest in something else.  Also, Jenny and I have much to discuss about possibly moving there, as the main downside is that Australia is basically far from everything and everyone (friends and family).

Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated as we figure all of this out, but in the meantime, Jenny and I plan to fully enjoy Munich!!  For those planning to visit, you might want to come sooner than later!  And, you may want to start saving for a trip to Australia, just in case...

Later on.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! We will! Let's see....DC to San Fran to see Muir Woods again, to Hawaii to catch up on surfing, on to Australia!
    Love,
    Mom G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Mom G!! Travel is good and being upside-down in this world even more so. We will find you kids and make time to be with you wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete