Friday, January 28, 2011

Traditional German Breakfast

This morning, my friend Corinna had Kristin and I over for a traditional German breakfast. When we arrived, she said she was "so excited the Americans were coming!". Before we ate, she gave us a lovely tour of the table. We then enjoyed the delicious food and celebrated her new pregnancy, which she was also very excited about. More food actually arrived on the table after I took the picture, but I was too busy eating to take another. The apartment was actually a really neat European apartment as well, but I wasn't sure how to take a picture of the apartment without looking strange.
We had soft boiled eggs (I forget the German name and they were actually hard boiled because of the new pregnancy), bread with quark (a yummy spread sort of like sour cream...you either get it plain and put jam on it or get it with herbs), bread and fleischsalat (sort of a mix of sausage and mayonaise, apparently extremely popular and very missed when NOT in Germany), bread and apfelschmalz (Dad, you may remember schmalz to be lard...it totally is. It's basically lard mixed with apples. Corinna's grandmother used to eat only this, since this is all they had). You may also notice the special pastries on the table. These were essentially jelly or pudding filled donuts that only come out in bakeries during Fasching, which is beginning right now. Yum to everything! After breakfast, I promptly picked up bread, quark, and fleischsalat (I didn't worry so much about the schmalz) at the grocery store.

2 comments:

  1. Where's the Weisswurst and Brez'n??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Special pastries for Fasching reminds me of Hot Cross Buns for Easter!! I wonder if they'll have those - although I think HCB are actually British!

    Love,
    Mom g.

    ReplyDelete